The summer arrival has also brought along the sunbathing. Whether you choose to tan on the beach, at the pool or outdoors when going for a picnic, we offer you some advice you should consider in order to have a healthy tan for a long period.
- Before getting tanned exfoliate your skin. This will help you to cleanse your skin of dead cells and get you ready for a uniform tan. You can use an exfoliating cream or a mixture of corn flour and shower cream. You can repeat once a week even as you are getting a tan.
- Use a sun protection cream right for your type of skin half an hour before sun exposure. This is how you can get a healthy tan and prevent sunburns that damage your skin. Be careful to also apply the lotion or cream on areas you generally do not really consider: ears, feet and to refresh the layer every two hours or after the contact with water. For your face it is preferable to use a higher protection factor and for children it is advisable to choose SPF over 30, even in this period.
- Do not stay on the beach after 11:00 (maximum) or before 16:00, because the UV rays are dangerous for the skin. Also, try to monitor the direct exposure to sunrays and to limit it to less than 2 hours for each interval, alternating with lying under an umbrella.
- Hydrate really well. The 2 litres of water per day recommended are not enough when you are exposed to the sun because the skin dehydrates and by sweating the body loses water very quickly. Try to consume more than 3 litres, to avoid sweet sparkling drinks and to also eat water-rich fruits and vegetables: cucumber, watermelon etc. In the evening you can drink sparkling mineral water in order to rebalance the minerals lost through sweat during the day.
- In the evening take a colder shower instead of a hot shower to soothe the skin and apply a cold cream to fix the tan and ensure the skin surface hydration.
- Eat fruits and vegetables with a high content of water, mineral salts and vitamins that would compensate for the losses during the sun exposure. In order to help tan fixing we recommend carrots that contain beta-carotene and vitamin A, but also the watermelon, nectarines or apricots. The yoghurt and dairy products fixt the tan and the olive oil protects it.
- In case of sunburns, a crushed tomato or fat cream applied on that area can do miracles. However try to protect yourself using the right creams for your type of skin.
- Protect you head from sunrays. The sunhat or other accessories covering your head are not only chic on the beach but they also protect you from the unwanted effects of sunstroke and sunrays on hair.
When we get tanned responsibly, the body wins and the sun exposure has more benefits: it fixes vitamin D2, it fights against insomnia, depression and skin problems (acne, eczemas), rebuild the hormone balance and increases circulation.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.